Codeword is an agency of creative problem solvers who believe marketing doesn’t have to suck.
We are a fast-growing, fast-moving team of writers, editors, designers, strategists, videographers, PR mavens, and even a few traditional marketers. We have an incredible roster of big and small tech clients for whom we manage editorial and social channels, develop smart marketing strategies, drive news coverage, and create big ideas.
Codeword is a remote-first agency, though we have physical offices in NYC, SF, and SLC that we won’t make you visit.
- 3+ years of experience in Content, Marketing, Journalism, Advertising, or a related field
- A tech junkie who loves keeping up with the latest digital trends, gadget news, and newsworthy campaigns
- A whip-smart writer and ace communicator with experience juggling projects and meeting tight deadlines … but also not afraid to ask for help (we love autonomy but you’ll never walk alone!)
- A stickler for small details. You should cringe at typos and proofread your own texts — bonus points if you correct your friends’ and family’s
- Comfortable chatting up and interviewing thinkers, creators, and decision-makers, from technical developers to C-level execs
- Excited to push creative limits, speak up in internal meetings and video calls with clients, and bring your unique perspective to new ideas and content formats (and Friendsgiving recipes!)
About This Role:
The editor reports to Austin Johansen, an editorial director and thoroughly seasoned tech writer, and is part of a tight-knit team working with one of the most influential tech companies in the world. You’ll support creative projects from ideation to execution, writing and editing everything from campaign concepts to long-form articles, case studies, speeches, blog posts, and web and social copy.
As a creator and storyteller, you’re comfortable taking your talents to a range of formats and staying on top of news, insights, and audience trends that impact your clients. We’re in the client-service business, so you should be ready to help the agency continue to build trust and relationships by bringing the editorial flair and expertise they expect. We’ve got great clients! And great clients love (and appreciate) your perspective and pushback when it’s driven by a desire to deliver the best work possible.
While you’re a wordsmith to the core, you’ll also have plenty of opportunities to stretch into other disciplines, including design and strategy. Codeword teams are cross-disciplinary, so if you love to collaborate, you’ll be in great company!
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Developing high-quality creative that checks every box from the brief (blog posts, video scripts, newsletters, keynote speeches, executive social posts … our clients want ‘em all!)
- Interviewing subject matter experts
- Contributing to brainstorms to put a twist on formats that clients are keen to freshen up
- Collaborating with colleagues in design, accounts, and strategy
- Honing your inner anthropologist to become an expert on your client’s tech audience
- Pitching on-trend (and ahead-of-the-trend!) story and campaign ideas
- Responding with a GIF when it says so much more than words
- Over-sharing pictures of your pet and/or unpopular opinions about the latest show/movie/album
People — that's you! — are the heart of our business, and we believe a culture of pay transparency benefits both Codeword and our team members’ careers.
For this role we’re looking to pay $70K–$83K, depending on experience.
- Flexible work hours
- Minimum 20 days paid vacation annually
- 401k + financial wellness support
- Health Insurance (medical, dental, life, pet, mental health services)
- Home office allowance
- Bi-annual Wellness Credits
- Monthly Technology Credit (to offset internet / phone costs)
- Every role is bonus eligible
- Comprehensive Parental Leave Policy
A few more things you should know about Codeword:
- The Codeword dream: Make good money doing work you care about with people you like.
- We love our clients (they write the checks!), which means maintaining a high bar for the creativity, smarts, responsiveness, and communication skills we offer them.
- We’re around 100 people, big enough to handle large-scale marketing programs, small enough that you’ll have an impact on our culture.
- We’re a friendly team, we look after each other, and we grow our careers together.
- We respect everyone’s personal life. After-hours emails are strongly frowned upon, night and weekend work is very rare, and employees are encouraged to pursue their side-hustles.
- We’re all grownups here, and we trust each other to get the work done, whether at home or in an office or a time zone on the other side of the world.
- We believe in defaulting to openness. Our calendars, our salary tiers, and our doors are open for all to see. (Except for secret client stuff, which we guard with our lives.)
- We’re a proud member of the global WE Communications family.
Equal Opportunity: Codeword provides equal employment opportunity and doesn’t discriminate against employees or applicants because of age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or other legally protected class status.
Diversity and Inclusion: Codeword works hard to foster a diverse team and an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
We aren’t a traditional agency, so we like to hire people who don’t necessarily fit the agency mold or check all the “right” boxes. If you’re on the fence about applying, please do!
To apply for this job, email us at email@example.com